The National Institutes of Health (NIH) is the largest federal agency that funds and conducts research to improve the health of the nation. The mission of the NIH Public Trust Initiative (PTI) is to enable the public to understand and to have full confidence in the research that NIH conducts and supports across the country and throughout the world.
That the public recognize and trust the NIH in funding, conducting, and overseeing research to improve the health of the nation.
SPECIFICALLY, the Public Trust Initiative seeks to provide the public:
- Information about how NIH conducts and supports research.
- Opportunities to participate in priority setting and other NIH activities.
- Opportunities to participate in clinical research.
- Access to, and understanding of, research results.
- Public trust is a top priority for the NIH
- The NIH has a long-term commitment to public trust
- Public input improves research
- Quality research is necessary for optimal health